Thursday, September 10, 2009

An Open Letter To Ed Emberley


Dear Ed,

From my early beginnings in doodling and making mess, your books always came in handy when I was young. You were like some kind of creative super hero that made the hours pass in the most imaginative of ways. You broke down the concept of basic drawing that I still carry with me to this day.

Your books not only opened up a world of doodling possibilities but it occupied a creative need that I needed filling as a child. That creativity carried me all the way to Art & Design school. I am now an illustrator and “big idea generator” as my daughter now calls me.

The first of your books was the Drawing Book of Animals which my 6 year old daughter is now enjoying amongst the many others that have been added to the crative library. It makes me so happy to see my daughter enjoy them as much as I did. My three year old is quickly loving the idea of scribbling on everything and anything. She will be next in line to take on some of your books soon.

So Ed, I write this in gratitude. I thank you for your dedication to the needs of creative kids and making drawing fun. I am looking forward to whatever goodies you come up with in the future. Keep up the great work.

Creatively Yours,

Holly DeWolf

Text & Illustration © Holly DeWolf

No comments: