Thursday, May 13, 2010
Your Illustration Warning Label
A warning label is defined as a label attached to an item, or contained in an item's instruction manual, warning the user about risks associated with the use of the item as intended by the manufacturer, seller or owner. In some cases these labels warn against some very strange occurrences such as the 'do not put hairdryer in water' approach. Often these labels seem obvious and sometimes they sound down right ridiculous to others. My all time favourite warning label is one I saw on a bar of soap stating "use like regular soap." It's so easy to get that confused with the irregular kinds of soap. Ridiculous or not, they come with the package so to speak.
What is an illustration warning label? It's a label used as a deterrent on your blog or website to help keep your images safe. It is always advised to sign your work plus adding a © symbol on your pages. A little wordy reminder is also important to place on your online sites to let others know that stealing your work is not permitted and will not be tolerated. Unfortunately when it comes to art work and respect, common courtesy isn't always common.
Examples of warning labels can be:
- My work is protected under copyright law. My images are not produced, represented, sold, distributed, or licensed as stock photography. You may not use, print, distribute, reproduce, alter, edit, or manipulate my work in any way, either in it's entirety, or in portion, without express written consent and license from me.
- Please enjoy my illustration work. Always make sure you look but don't steal. Thank you!
- Creative suggestion: Enjoy. Send happy comments. Hire me for illustration projects. Please do not steal images. Thanks!
- Caution: Owner of artwork will become angry if any work is used without permission. © Bob 2010
- 100% pure illustration. Please don't steal the goods.
- Ingredients: digital art, text, thoughts and pictures. All © Stacy 2010
- © John Doe-All work is owned by me and shall not be used for any reason without consent. Thank you.
- © Jane Doe-If you steal my work it will bring bad karma onto you.
- Warning: artwork presented is all mine mine mine! Please ask first!
- Stealing art work is not cool.
- Theft of this art is a crime against my creative nature! Please ask first.
- Warning: Misuse of illustrations may cause bad luck, tornado's, black holes and other calamities!
- Artwork is for viewing purposes only. Please hire me but don't steal my work. Thanks!
You get the point and hopefully potential art work takers will too. It's important to have these things pointed out due to the ever increasing confusion of artists rights online. It wont guarantee that someone wont steal but it lets them know you are paying attention. Nowadays it is post and beware and be aware before you creatively share.
© Holly DeWolf